post 14: "WHY PROVO IS THE WORST CITY TO DRIVE IN"


Okay, okay this may be a little dramatic but when it comes to driving, Provo is at the top of the list for worst of all time. I’ve driven in quite a few places and most are better than Provo, Utah. That being said, I think there are a number of factors that play a role in its bad reputation. Those factors are construction, fluctuations of population, and the personality of drivers among a number of others.


CONSTRUCTION
I swear construction is a season in Provo and lately it has been at a whole new level of bad. Every major main street and major side street has bright orange cones blaring in your face that make you regret ever stepping foot in your car. Besides that, skinny lanes and less lanes make it hard for drivers to keep their cool. This leads to impatience and irritation which only leads to problems in general. This can then escalate to create major road rage and road rage is never a good thing.  


OVERPOPULATION IN SOUTH PROVO
Another big contributor to the driving situation in Provo is fluctuations in population. With two major universities nearby population varies quite a bit, especially in south Provo. I think that can be overwhelming to drivers that spend the spring and summer in Provo. They go from little traffic to insane traffic over a weekend and it can be a little hectic.


PERSONALITY OF DRIVERS
The last contributor to this traffic situation is the personality of drivers. The majority of drivers in Provo are under the age of 25 and have little experience behind the wheel. Not only that, but many have just graduated high school where they likely didn’t have their own car. They come to Provo with their first car and drive in over crowded streets with drivers who have just as much or less driving experience than them. Not a good combination if you ask me. Provo also attracts a diverse group of people from all over the world. This is awesome except each state drives differently than the other so you never know what you’re going to get.




Good luck out there!

Comments

  1. I totally feel you. Provo is the worst. CONSTRUCTION RUINS EVERYTHING. Literally I live on 700 North, and as everybody knows it's basically the worst road to live on. Because construction has been going on for over a year. At the beginning of the school year I couldn't even pull my car into the parking lot to unpack all my things, I had to park across the street. Talk about evil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I live on 700 too and it is the worst. The construction kills me. And when you finally think it is ending it just starts up again. Not only that but there is never anywhere to park so I avoid driving as much as possible because I usually have to end up walking just as far from my parking spot anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate that just when you think that construction is done, the unnecessarily reconstruct another street. Thank you for voicing the issues that plague the streets of provo. I wish someone would put more lighting in the streets. I would love to hear your thoughts on that, or how longborders need to have their own lanes. >:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exactly what I say every single time I get in a car and drive anywhere in Provo...and really Utah. I think you really hit the nail on the head talking about the drivers and how many of them are 25 and under with little experience driving. I see some of the dumbest things when I'm driving here, and every time I can't believe that person was allowed to have a license.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for expressing what all of us are thinking. Everyday I see someone do something so stupid and I just think why do I let myself drive on the same roads as you? It’s a scary thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would also like to add the fact that parking in Provo is just as bad, if not worse, then driving. People's parking abilities are atrocious. The amount of parking here is terrible. The overall situation is just bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YASSS!!! This is such an accurate post. I HATE driving in Provo. My husband and I will literally just go stay the weekend at his family's in Lehi to avoid the weekend traffic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts