post 13: "THE PROBLEM WITH NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS"


Oh New Year’s resolutions, a love/hate relationship for sure. Like many people, I’ve made a few during the span of my life and every time I’m reminded why I’m not a fan of them even though they can be great in a lot of ways. The reason why I’m not particularly a fan is because I think goals should be set all year long. People shouldn’t wait until the beginning of a new year to create a bunch of new goals. They should create and start them whenever they come to mind.


They’re too extreme. Too often people set them and then quit them shortly after. Why set a goal if you’re not going to stick with it? Goals are great but they should be set so they are attainable. I’ve tried the “stop eating candy” goal too many times to count and every time I fail because I don’t ease into it. Instead of slowly removing it from my diet I attempt to quit cold turkey, which is never successful. So, while goals are so great in so many ways, I think we need to be realistic and remember why we set them.

Comments

  1. It's funny, I think the best goals I've set have just kind of happened, they haven't been prompted by the New Year. With the exception of one--I gave up drinking soda as a NY resolution, and I haven't had soda since! It's been about 5 years!
    The next year I tried donuts. Which did not work out, because I happen to love donuts. But I this past year I gave up all sugary sweets and carbs, in the middle of July. It was kind of random, but I lost a lot of weight because of it. And I stuck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree! I have been saying this same thing to anyone who asks me what my New Year's resolutions are because I think it is ridiculous to have one goal setting day for the entire year. If I want to be better about something and really improve, I am going to do that whenever I want to, not just the first day of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been good at setting goals at any time of the year. What would you recommend for someone who has never set a new years resolution?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In no way am I an expert on goal setting but I think the best thing to do is start small. Don't be too extreme with the first goal you set because I think that will only leave you frustrated.

      Delete
  4. Amen. Every year I make resolutions, and every year I fail. You're completely right, we set these huge goals that would be possible if we took it one step at a time, but we try to jump in without any preparation. That makes it 10 times harder to complete the goals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree. If you set goals at the new year then great. But also what's wrong with setting goals throughout the year? Why don't people have the same drive to complete goals if it isn't the new year? I think carefully planning your goals is so important, so then you can actually succeed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts