post 1: "FLOOD THE EARTH"
The talk given by Elder Bednar titled "To Sweep the Earth as with a Flood" focused on a positive use of social media. I thought that this talk was not only insightful, but persuasive. Social media is something that is extremely prevalent in our daily lives and likely has a pretty strong impact on how we think and act on a daily basis. The fact that the topic is so applicable hugely effects its persuasive nature. Social media is something the young worship and the old desperately try to understand. There is no doubt that social media is taking the world by storm and I loved that Bednar used this as the focus of his talk. Not just that, but Elder Bednar's talk made me realize how I can personally use social media as a positive platform whether it is religious or not. A decent number of people follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Facbook, and this should be reason enough for me to post positive, uplifting content. There's no point in adding to all the trash that already exists on the internet.
I think I was one of a few that was not totally excited about this talk. haha I do agree that his topic was appropriate. He should be encouraging members to use social media because it is a proven medium for effective mass communication. However, I was disappointed with the examples he chose. As you said, the old try to understand social media. I can tell he is not very familiar with it. The posts he selected as good examples were, in my opinion, very unauthentic and curated. I don't think this is the message the Church wants to promote.
ReplyDelete